Did I read that splash screen right?

I wasn’t fast enough to read the splash screen this time, the app loaded very quickly. I think It read “Russians wish something f yourself”.

I understand the terrible situation that both countries are in right now; reading about the conflicts both parties are having is depressing. Is it, however, really necessary to include the topic within the app? I mean, it’s your software; you can do whatever you want with it, but… I don’t know. As an outsider, reading that feels strange and sad in comparison to all the other lighthearted splash screen phrases.

I also understand the need to externalize what you guys feel, but maybe it’s not the right place to do so.

I love your software, and you guys are doing an excellent job. This isn’t a deal breaker or anything; it’s simply my opinion.

1 Like

Fontbase is based in Ukraine. Or was.

I’d say making fun of the country that’s currently bombing you fairly lighthearted. Whatever the tone.

Anyway, this is a political post. I shouldn’t engage more.

As a citizen of the western world and Europe, I am obviously on Ukraine’s side in the Russo - Ukrainian war. However I do agree that the splash message is… weird? It feels unprofessional. Something like “Slava Ukraini” is perfectly fine, but telling Russians to essentially “go fuck themselves” (if I understood your description correctly?), seems unnecessarily aggressive for a font management app.

Edit: If they want to be more direct, using a message encouraging Russians to resist the current regime might be better.

Edit 2: I found the splash screen lines, the one you saw was 🛳️ Russian warship go fuck yourself

Look, I have no problem saying “fuck” or whatever, and I understand why that line is so significant, but it seems out of place among a bunch of font puns.

'👌 Opening more Sans...',
'😍 Intensifying Helvetica...',
'💩 Replacing all fonts with Comic Sans...',
'🤘 Sharpening serifs...',
'🔮 Predicting the Futura...',
'🦊 Catching the quick fox...',
'👉 The fastest font manager alive!',
'🛳️ Russian warship go fuck yourself',
'🔧 Fixing bad keming...',
'— You are my Univers! 😘'
1 Like

Look, I have no problem saying “fuck” or whatever, and I understand why that line is so significant, but it seems out of place among a bunch of font puns.

Me neither! But yeah, it feels kind of out of place.

1 Like