Vote for Features link doesn't work for me, so I'm posting this here :)

Hi! Love the app and the ideas behind it!

Some suggestions/criticisms:

1. I don’t think your feedback forum is working (at least for me). When I click on any of the feedback links, I just get a forever “Loading…” screen. Which is too bad, because I really want to suggest that you contact Serif about Affinity compatibility. Not all of us are Adobe-wealthy, and the Affinity products are amazing low-cost alternatives. I’d “Be Awesome” if I knew that you were also working toward all the automatic-type features with Affinity as well.

2. A picture is worth a thousand words, I’m told. And a video has to be worth at least a couple dozen photos, at least! Your site would benefit greatly from a short video that just showed the process of opening Fontbase, adding a folder, activating a font, showing how AI (or whatever) reacts, deactivating, creating a collection, adding a provider, etc. Your manual isn’t bad, but this would be way better in my opinion (as an addition). [EDIT] - I feel like an idiot for completely ignoring/dismissing the video on the homepage! This actually serves this purpose pretty well. I guess I just dismissed it as marketing material instead of something instructional.

3. I wasn’t able to find an “About” page in the actual application. How can you tell what version of the program you are running without this? (Maybe I just missed it somewhere?) The “About” page is also a great place to give credit to your developers and contributors, etc. as well. Give yourself some credit already!! :slight_smile: You could also put in what the latest version of the program is as well, if one is not automatically updating and behind the current version. Links to your change log/update page here would also be nice. Just a thought.

4. It’s not clear from the documentation if Fontbase will pick up sub-folders. I had to experiment with the actual program to figure this out. The same with font providers. There doesn’t seem to be any documentation on how this is done. Is Google the only font provider? Can something like DaFont or FontSpring be added? Again, I think providing a short video would make this a little more clear.

5. For convenience, I store all my fonts in a cloud folder. Is there any way to create a Fontbase “config” file that I could also store in the same cloud location allowing me to use things like Favorites and Collections on any computer and only having to set them up once? This would be KILLER!

I think you have an awesome application here, and I apologize if these suggestions/questions have already been addressed. Please keep up the good work, it’s very much appreciated!

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to our forums! :smiley:

1. You can post you suggestions here, in the Greenlight category - https://forum.fontba.se/c/greenlight/6. Also, is this link not opening for you too? Feedback Forum

2. Yeah, we plan to add more education videos in the future, it was not our priority for now.

3. You can click on the question mark in the top right corner of the app. You can find the version there. It is a nice idea to add more links there, we actually might do that!

4. It does pick up subfolders for sure. As for the providers, it is meant to be something we add on our end, not you can add yourself.

5. We have the collections sync feature in the settings. The collections file is stored in the same folder ad your FontBase root. So if you sync that, and if you turn auto-sync collections on, you should be able to sync collections between computers. Just make sure to Export collections once on the computer that actually has them arranged.

Thank you for the reply! (And apologies for the late response, and if my original post is categorized wrong.)

1. That is correct, that link does not work for me. It goes to a page that says “loading…” and nothing more ever happens. However, I do run an rPi with PiHole on it, so perhaps its some scripting that is being blocked? This forum seems to work fine for me, for what it’s worth.

2. Good! :slight_smile:

3. Okay, I guess I just missed that.

4. I kind of figured that out though experimentation, but it would be nice if that info was added to your documentation.

5. That is awesome to hear and I can’t wait to try it out! (I’m recovering from some surgery yesterday, so I’m not on my main machine ATM. Also my excuse for the late reply!) That feature is going to make my life soooooo much easier as I work across a home computer and a work computer for my business, and I have way too many fonts to deal with.

I plan on resetting my fonts folder on my main machine and strictly using FontBase going forward, as I think that will help a ton with both organization and performance. Thank you again for a wonderful piece of software!

Hello
this was not clear to me. There is a normal “Providers” folder in my fontbase folder, so I thought I could use it the same way as my “Folders” and was puzzled that it didn’t use subfolders like “Folders” does.