.afm, .pfb fonts

I have older, high quality fonts from Adobe and others, .afm, .pfb, they don’t show up. Do you have a tip on how to convert them and not degrade them?

1 Like

Hello @sokrakes, thank you for your post:)
FontBase only supports .ttf and .otf for now, any any tool that will enable you to convert your current font files to these formats should theoretically work. I’d probably just try to search the web for online converters and see what comes up:)
Hope this helps,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

I too suggest to convert your fonts to TTF or OTF. On Windows 10 I encountered some problems with the Type 1 fonts already some time ago. Support of the old Type 1 font format of adobe will stop in 2023 (I think I read so). For you want to convert a lot of fonts offline: one cheap and simple tool is Transtype 4 from Fontlab (including new organizing of font families through naming). With the mostly more expensive font design tools you can do much more, e.g. add missing glyphs (Euro sign …) to the older fonts. But for this you have to know what you are doing.

1 Like

Thank you for your response,
Yes, you can convert several fonts online.
I’ve already come across Transtype 4, it looks good, it’s good that it generates whole folders and file names in a more readable form, not in abbreviations as it used to.
FontLab I tried once, but there’s probably going to be a per font, upload/save.

Thanks again, it’s nice to share this information.

1 Like