All fonts in collections are gone

WIN11, FontBase 2.17.5

After the latest Update, all my sub folders collections are empty. It took me a few weeks to create all the collections for about 3500 fonts, now they are all gone. And all the active tagged Fonts are gone. Do I have to start all over again?

Hello @Rotuma, thank you for the post, welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you’re having such issues.
If there was a change in your sub folders, is it possible that your root folder got misplaced somehow?
Would it be possible to check if you root folder (you can see the path in the Settings page) is pointing to the same location it did before the update?
Thank you again,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

The path and the fonts are the same as before. What I did, was installing PS 2023, but that should not really delete my subfolders?

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly and for the update.
Yes, it definitely shouldn’t have caused that. Unless your subfolders were in one of the PS folders and the installation process removed some obsolete folders, including possibly those containing fonts?

I think we are coming closer to my problem. My fonts and fontbase are in a separate drive (W:) and always have been. But for the last month or so, when I close fontbase and start it again, the root folder suddenly shows C:\user.… and all my settings are gone. So, when I change that to my W drive, also all the settings are gone. That never happened before. Somehow Fontbase doesn’t remember the root directory. I can’t find how to save it.
Hope you understand this, as my English is not so good.

Thank you for the quick update and the additional info.
First of all, your English is great and your explanations are excellent:)
As for the W drive - is it a local drive (another HDD/SDD connected to your machine) or is it on a network, perhaps with some read-write access limitations?
Would it be possible that something else changed in this time besides the FontBase update? I mean things like your Windows update, changes in the software that manages the W drive etc?
The last FontBase update specifically did not include any changes that could cause this behaviour, at least not to my knowledge.
I’m trying to understand everything that’s changed between “before” and “now” to figure out what is the root cause of the issue.
Thank you again,

The problem seems to be solved and is not a bug. For some reason Fontbase was installed twice, one version had as root C:\ and the other W:, which is a built in hard drive. After deleting the second version, things seem to work ok.
But I have another question:
Some fonts are not shown in Fontbase display, I only see a quare with a cross in it. Like “The Rourth Avenue”, “Fasthand” and “Titanic”. But when I open the explorer they are picture normal. I have the free version of Fontbase, as I’m an old woman and just use PS every now and then.
Greetings from Austria

Thank you for the quick update and glad to hear the issue has been resolved:)
The issue with the fonts you’re having is most likely related to how the information is stored in the font files - not all font designer use the same approach when creating them - and so this happens with certain fonts in FontBase. This is not a limitation of the free version VS the paid one.
I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing these issues with these fonts, but I’m afraid at this moment there is little we can do about it if restarting FontBase or the computer don’t make a difference.
Thank you again,