Can not import older fonts. No instructions or directions with prograM

Please include the flowing when reporting a bug:
Cannot import older fonts

• Your operating system Macbook Pro M3
  • Operating system version Sonoma
  • FontBase version 2.20.7
  • What actions caused the issue Uploading fonts
  • If possible, attach a screenshot Cannot open any of my fonts. They are older fonts. Selected legecy, but would not work. Confusing program. not clear when to use collections, folders, etc. And no instructions.

Define, older fonts. One thing I know for sure is that FontBase can’t import Postscript Type 1 fonts. As of January 1, 2023 Adobe no longer supported Type 1 fonts. FontBase to my knowledge, has never supported Type 1 fonts.
If indeed, they are Type 1 fonts, there are some online font converters that can convert Type 1 fonts to TrueType or OpenType. There’s also the bulk font converter utility TransType 4 by the makers of FontLab for converting large collections. I believe TransType 4 has a numbered day demo that can convert fonts while running in demo mode. I remember converting some Type 1 fonts that way. I can’t be certain if it still offers the demo functionality, as it’s been years since I did those conversions. But at $97 it is a good buy if you have a large collection of legacy Type 1 fonts. Transtype 4 has had some other features baked in for colouring fonts, font blending and the creation of web fonts. If I had needed any of that functionality, I would have purchased it, and it seemed like quite a versatile tool to my recollection. BTW, it cannot only convert Type 1, but can convert TrueType to OpenType and vice versa.

1 Like

Hello @MarlinDMiller, thank you for your post and welcome to the forum :pray:
Have you already had the chance to have a look at the video tutorials at our youtube channel?

Also, the Learn section of our website contains some info that might be useful in understanding FontBase better:

As @marcos97 accurately pointed out, older is a relative concept. What do you mean by “older”?
Thank you again,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team