Certain fonts not displaying

Certain fonts show as squares, even in view details. Manually opening the font outside of FontBase it does display correctly.

  • Windows 10 Pro
  • 19043.1023
  • FontBase version - 2.15.6
2 Likes

Can you check out the Glyphs tab on the family page? How is it displayed there?

I get a list of characters from some default font.

Looks like FontBase is not able to parse this font correctly. This happens if there are some slight error in the font file format. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do about this :frowning:

Ok thank you for the update.

I am having this same issue, and only with certain fonts that I use often and that Fontbase had no problem displaying on another machine. My new setup is pretty much a copy of my old one, so I’m not sure why it’s behaving differently.

Old PC:

New PC:

Can you try deleting that font from disk, and then add it again?

I tried deleting the font both in Windows Explorer and within the app, restarted the app as well as my PC, and added it back by C&Ping as well as by installing it from within Fontbase. I still see nothing but boxes, no matter what I try. :frowning:

ETA: My next step is removing and reinstalling Fontbase to see if that flushes a cache somewhere or something.

ETA2: No luck there either. There are a handful of other fonts that aren’t showing up, but I’ve got 8k so it would take me a while to get a list of them all. This particular font is one I use daily in my graphic design work, so it’s pretty crucial I get it working. :confused:

1 Like

Can you send me this font file in direct messages?

Sure can! On its way momentarily. :slight_smile:

…And now the font seems to be showing up fine. I don’t see a version update in the app so it must have been something funky going on with my system. Thank you so much for your patience and attention! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

That is weird, because it does not display correctly for me too. Looks like there is an OTS table parsing error (basically the font file is not structured properly) and because of that FontBase can not read and display it correctly.

Thanks for the reply! It’s got weirder, because after displaying correctly, then not, then correctly again, then not again…yeah, something else is going on. :upside_down_face:

I think I found a workaround by running it through this font tool: https://transfonter.org/

I just re-saved it as a TTF and now it seems to be showing up correctly again.

2 Likes