Copy/move fonts between folders?

I imported my previous font sorting as folders into FontBase.
It’s a nice system, I’d like to keep updating it. But dragging between folders doesn’t seem to work.

I don’t know if this is a bug, or if the software can’t / won’t do this.

So I don’t know if this is a help request, a bug report of a feature request :upside_down_face:

Is it supposed to be possible to move fonts between your font folders from within FontBase? Would it be possible or is it a non-starter?

Sv.

1 Like

Hi @sveinbjorn, thank you for your post:)
This is not a bug, but I’ve moved your post to the Greenlight category, aka feature request, so it will be considered for future feature implementation if it gets enough traction with the community :pray:
Thank you again,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

2 Likes

not quite sure of exact meaning here

but what seems an obvious basic function is to move OR copy fonts between Categories

but there does not seem to be that function

Slash means “or”.
And one assumes you press a modifier key while draghing and dropping to togglw between moving and copying, like in any modern program or OS.

1 Like

This is confusing and doesn’t make sense, because if you “try” to move between folders the popup shows “Move 17 fonts” or whatever, but it just never does it.
So the app thinks it’s possible, but just not doing it. If it’s not possible, then the app shouldn’t be showing that it could or is happening when dragging to a different folder.

Hello @rckstflbn, thank you for your post and welcome to the forum :pray:
And thank you for your feedback and sharing your experience with the drag-and-drop actions in FontBase.
As you could probably see, when you start dragging a font, several items are highlighted in green colour: Favorites collection, as well as all the other collections you’ve created on your own. In this way the app hints at where the selected fonts can be dropped. While moving the fonts anywhere else you will see a small crossed out red circle, suggesting it’s impossible to drop the selected fonts there.
Sorry to hear this approach doesn’t make sense, I believe this is among the first feedbacks we’ve received up to date. Will definitely take your opinion into account while making future improvements to FontBase, including the drag-and-drop functionality. Thank you for helping us make FontBase better each time.
Hope this helps,
And thank you again,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

hi there.

not such this clarification is helpful or something you know.

but the most obvious in-your-face BUG that is most confusing for ALL users is that when you 'drag & drop, and it says quite explicitly ‘Moving x fonts…’, WHEN IN FACT IT IS NOT ‘MOVING’ AT ALL, BUT COPYING!!!

now that is the simplest fastest thing in the world to fix, and should have been fixed YEARS ago; but is fixed?
of course not, even today as we speak.

there are many many other UI dysfunctional and/or missing behaviours to fix/enhance; but years go by and nothing actually gets done. at best they get in the ‘Greenlight’ list’ as some sort of symbolic gesture, but nothing ever gets done.

Hello @dec, thank you for your reply :pray:
And thank you for your feedback. A separate thank you for speaking on behalf of every single users out of tens of thousands of users around the world, myself included.
The bug you’ve mentioned is not a bug, as we’ve talked about before, although I understand how you can see it that :pray: When you “move” a font from a folder into a collection or between collections it is not copied at all, no new font files are created. It merely gets shown/represented in the target collection, so there is no copying at all. As such, given that the prevailing majority of users have no issues with the way FontBase operates in this case, we did not do anything about this. This decision has nothing to do with the inability to change the message displayed, merely the objective absence of the need to do so :pray:
As for you saying that, and I quote, “years go by and nothing actually gets done” - this is outright not true. I understand your frustration, but there is absolutely no need to say things that are false. For your convenience, here is a general overview of the FontBase updates: FontBase — Update History. If your comment on nothing being done were true, then this updates list would’ve been completely blank.
Thank you again,
Yuriy

2 Likes

Yuri.

you are splitting hairs. and being disingenuous.

the simple observable fact is that when i drag and drop fonts from one Collection to another, IT DOES NOT MOVE THEM!!!@!

the fonts dragged stay exactly where they were. THEY ARE NOT MOVED.

it is totally irrelevant if the fonts listed are aliases/shortcuts or whatever, THEY ARE NOT MOVED.

Thank you for your reply @dec :pray:
Even though you address a different person in your reply, I suspect from context that you meant me specifically.
I’m glad we agree on the parts about speaking up for the entire community and addressing the comment that nothing is ever being done :pray:
As for the the moving part, I do see your point and how that could be inconvenient for some users, as we’ve talked about with you on more than one occasion in the past. Dropping a font from one collection into another, for example, would indeed not be moving it, but rather making a new shortcut basically, as you would in your OS for files and links to them. So that would not be copying either. But writing “Create new font shortcut” would probably be too cumbersome. Will keep this point in mind though, maybe we’ll manage to come up with an option that would satisfy 100% of our users, not just 99.999…%.
Thank you again,
Yuriy

1 Like

i think the only extra nice to have would be a delete (shortcut) in the collections. I don’t believe it is there or I am unaware of the trick. Especially for a collection that perhaps contains several fonts for a client with many products etc. Rather than deleting or copy the shortcut to a new collection name and then renaming after deleting the old. Otherwise works great, and was a good addition to make sets from the multitude of fonts we prob all have.

Hello @mark, thank you for your post :pray:
I’m not sure I understood your question - do you mean deleting a collection or removing a font from a collection?
The former would be done by right-clicking the collection name, then selecting “Delete”, the latter would be dragging a font (once you have your collection open) to the right, where a pop-up panel with a prompt will appear suggesting dropping a font there would remove it from the current collection (leaving the file on your hard drive and the font in the app, including other collections and folders, without any changes).
Hope this helps,
Thank you again,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

Perfect thanks. Works great, didn’t think to try it in the main font area to remove font from set.

Mark

1 Like