Create a system fonts folder

Repost from Feedback Forum

– Add a permanent System Fonts section (after Inactive, for example).
– Section should automatically identify all the system fonts from their original system folder and work with them from there. (Not import everything like the software does now)
– Auto-identify which ones are activated.
– Some fonts are indispensable system fonts that cannot/should not be deactivated. Those should be marked as active but blocked from tampering.
– The others should work as normal, being able to activate/deactivate at will.
– Any new fonts that will be installed using the OS will automatically appear in the System Fonts Folder.
– Fonts cannot be deleted from the software, in order to avoid system crashes.

I think the feature is most useful for people new to Font Managers who have all their fonts installed in their OS Font folder (especially Windows). This way, they can identify the fonts they installed, move them from there and organize them properly, while keeping the OS active fonts to a necessary minimum.

14 Likes

Great idea, it’s even better when paired with the premium membership that has auto font activation :+1:t3:

This is a suggestion from a user. I don’t think I agree with it entirely. Probably displaying system installed fonts is a handy idea, but being able to activate/deactivate them is most likely out of scope for FontBase. We really don’t want to mess with system fonts.

2 Likes

Please prevent me from messing with fonts that were installed by the system or a software! I will promise to only install “extra” fonts using FontBase and then everything will be ok. I assume that everyone has tried to remove fonts that they don’t think they need, then something gets messed up and you don’t know what you removed that messed it up.

Note: I think I have 400+ fonts that may have been installed by the system or software! I find that to be an unbelievable waste and many of these aren’t things I use, but when you remove them EEK! It takes up room on my font selection list and I won’t use them.

I wish that we could “sort” the activated fonts on the font list in my software. Not sure there is a good way to do that, but if I was doing it for myself I’d append a special character in front of the font name so that the ones I chose were at the top. Not sure that other users would like that and I don’t know if it would have unexpected impact in other software. So it might not be a good idea…but that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to easily identify my “chosen” fonts on that list of 400+ fonts, most of which I can’t remove!

As soon as we add the system fonts folder, everyone will start asking “why can’t I deactivate that font?”. We can not allow just uninstall system fonts from FontBase, because like you have mentioned, many of them are needed for the system to work correctly, and no one knows which ones exactly. The only option here is to show the system fonts, but disable activation/deactivation for them, but that’s also not that simple to implement as it sounds.

As for the sorting fonts in your design software - we can not do that. The apps take the font names from the font files themselves. We can not change or alter that.

1 Like

Slightly off-topic but relevant: font locking. I have a few fonts I want ALWAYS active, even if I deactivate all active fonts.

If font locking were implemented, then the every font in the system folder could be locked by default with a warning popup when trying to unlock.

I understand this is quite an undertaking but I do believe it provides value to users. I hate scrolling through hundreds of system fonts so I’ve been meaning to go through and delete some of them. Being able to deactivate them then reactivate later if there is an issue seems like a safer and more streamlined way for users to manage their system fonts :slight_smile:

You can’t just “deactivate” a system font. We can do that with fonts activated through FontBase, yes, but system fonts are installed differently.

Just make a collection called Active and just have them active all the time mine is called favs