Glyphs Copied To Clipboard

I need to know what happens when I copy a font glyph to the clipboard. I’ve never been able to get it to paste anywhere. What do I need to do to make this happen. I used to use the Windows Character Map app but that only works if fonts are installed. The whole reason I use FontBase is because I have a veritable ton of fonts and can’t install all of them. I was counting on being able to copy glyphs using FontBase just as I did with the Character Map app. Please advise.

Thanks Debbie H.

Hello Debbie, thank you for the post :pray:
The function works as Ctrl+C basically would on a specific glyph. You can then paste it into any text field using Ctrl+V or right-click menu + “Paste”.
That’s pretty much all there is to it:)
Hope this helps,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

Yuriy,

The function doesn’t work that way for me. When I click on a glyph FontBase indicates that it has been copied to the clipboard. Unfortunately, when I try Ctrl+V in MS Word (or any other app)…nothing happens. And using an app’s “Paste” button doesn’t work either.

So no, your explanation didn’t help me. Is there something else that might be going on the keep this from working? I don’t seem to have this problem when using Ctrl+C (or a “Copy” button) in any other app.

Any thing you could find out would be so very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Debbie

Thank you for the quick reply and the explanation :pray:
Has it been like this from the very start or did the function stop working as intended at some point?
Thank you again,
Yuriy

Honestly, I can’t say if this is something new. I don’t often have to capture glyphs. I just know that anytime I’ve tried to do it with FontBase…it doesn’t work. So I guess the real answer is yes, I’ve always had this issue. I just don’t know if it started after any on particular update. Wish I could be more specific.

Thank you for the quick reply :pray:
Doesn’t really look like the cause is at FontBase’s end for now, it’s quite odd.
Can you copy any text (for example the preview sample text at the bottom of the main page) from FontBase and paste it anywhere outside of the app?
This could also be some access rights/antivirus limitation, but that’s just a guess unfortunately. Plus, if that’s the case, there’s little we can do to change this :pensive:

Tada…I think I figured out what the problem has been. I tried copying the preview text and the only place I could successfully paste it was within MS Word. So I tried that with a glyph and as long as the font is active I can also paste the glyph into MS Word. Sorry I didn’t previously understand that pasting into a text “app” was the only way to do this. Thanks so much for helping me get this straightened out. Have a great rest of your week and a happy holiday season! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the update and the good wishes :pray:
It’s a bit odd, font activation should not have anything to do with pasting a glyph. It would affect whether it would be in the same style as the font it was copied from though. Pasting into MS Word shouldn’t be any different from pasting into let’s say a Google search in your browser (except for the style thing mentioned above). But we’ve moved from not working at all to at least partial working, which is already good progress :pray:
Thank you again and happy holidays to you as well :partying_face: