Have to turn off a font and then back on

I’m on Mac and I have certain client fonts open. I open an Indesign file and it shows the fonts are broken. Since they show as active, I guess it doesn’t try to open them.

So I go into FontBase and deactivate and then activate again – then they work.

This is just annoying more than anything.

Hello @chrisb, thank you for your post and welcome to the forum :pray:
When you say “I have certain client fonts open”, do you mean they have been activated in FontBase?
Thank you again,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

Sorry - yes. When i go to Fontbase when this happens, the fonts show the green dot like they are open and fine (but don’t actually work in Indesign.)

I then click the dot to turn them off and then immediately click to turn them on.

I go back to Indesign and all is well.

Hello @chrisb, thank you for your quick reply :pray:
It seems this has something to do with how InDesign accesses the available active fonts (depending on whether they were activated before InDesign (or a file opened in it) was launched or after it’s already started running), since there is no technical difference between FontBase activating a font for the first or the 100th time. So at least for now I don’t think there is anything that can be done of FontBase’s side to change this InDesign behaviour I’m afraid :pensive:
Thank you again,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

And it doesn’t seem to happen with all fonts. I’ll have to keep track and see if there is any rhyme or reason with the ones this happens to. It’s easy to remedy but very strange.

1 Like