How to transfer collections and font activation status to a new Mac?

I just got a new MacBook Pro M3 (upgraded reluctantly from my MacBook 2019 i7) and had to reinstall everything on the new device.

FontBase downloaded fine and I was able to log in, however, the most important feature of the app seems to be inoperable. All 6,000+ of my fonts show up, but none of them are activated and all of my collections are completely missing.

It seems like others have experienced some version of this in not being able to activate fonts after a reinstallation, but I am not having a problem with activation. The only issue is my settings and saves not carrying over – any idea how to fix this??

Please include the flowing when reporting a bug:

• Your operating system: MacOS (MacBook Pro M3 chip)
  • Operating system version: Sonoma 14.5
  • FontBase version: 2.20.7
  • What actions caused the issue: I got a new MacBook M3 and had to reinstall FontBase on the new device
  • If possible, attach a screenshot

Hello @typeamb, thank you for your post and welcome to the forum :pray:
Settings and activation status are not saved in the cloud at the moment, so what you’re describing is not a bug at all, but actually normal app behaviour.

To transfer the collections and the activation status I would suggest to do this in 3 steps:

1. Run FontBase on the old machine, create a new collection, something like “MyActiveFonts”, then go to your “Active” collection (4th from the top in the collections list), select all the fonts in this collection and add them to the newly created “MyActiveFonts”.

2. use the “Export collections” feature (for this, go to Settings - Advanced - Export collections), which will save the collections to a separate file. You can then move this file to the new machine and use “Import collections” on it.

3. Activate the “MyActiveFonts” collection on the new machine, wait for the process to be completed. At this point all the fonts that were active on your old machine should be active on the new one as well. Now just remove the “MyActiveFonts” collection on the new machine.

Hope this helps,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

PS I’ve also edited the topic to better reflect the situation and help other users find this one easier :pray:

Thank you! This worked perfectly.

1 Like