Make keys PageUp, PageDown, arrow up and arrow down work like on Windows OS

Please include the flowing when reporting a bug:

• Your operating system: Windows 10
  • Operating system version: 10.0.19045.3803
  • FontBase version: 2.20.7

When using the PageUp and PageDown keys to navigate through fonts, the list is moved up or down more than one page. This results in ‘skipping’ fonts.

When using the arrow up and down keys:

1. The behavior in Fontbase is not standard to Windows. FontBase lacks Windows standards using the arrow keys in e.g. file browsing in Windows Explorer, any application menu, selecting or moving through text in an text editor, etc. FontBase not following Windows standards is a very confusing user experience.

2. Ignoring the previous point, I select one font and then try to navigate with the arrow keys. It is needed to press the arrow up or down key multiple times (sometimes two, sometimes three times) just to ‘scroll’ one font up or down. This should be one font for each key press.

Also standard Windows behavior of using the arrow up and down keys, is selecting the previous/next item in the list (i.e. font in FontBase), but unfortunately FontBase does not.

Hello @PB-CCC, thank you for your post and your suggestions :pray:
Moved the topic to the Greenlight category, and if the idea gets enough support for the community it will likely be included in one of the future updates for FontBase.
Thank you again,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

Hello Yuriy,

Thank you for your swift reply. Although I really like using FontBase - that’s why I became a paying customer - to be honest, I’m disappointed you removed my bug report without any further explanation.

Please could you explain how skipping items when using the PageUp and PageDown keys in browsing the font list is intended behavior in Fontbase?

And could you explain why it is intended behavior in Fontbase when using the arrow keys, it is needed to randomly press an arrow key two or three times to go up or down one item (font) in the font list?

Kind regards,
PB

Hello PB, thank you for your reply :pray:
Of course:) Using keyboard arrows and PageUp/PageDown keys was never intended as the main navigation modality in FontBase, hence they have never been explicitly mentioned in any usage recommendations or user guides as far as I’m aware. As such, it can hardly be considered an actual bug.
The usage scenario you’ve described does make sense though, and we completely understand how that could be beneficial for some users. So, as mentioned above, this will be considered when making further improvements to the application, resulting in the topic category change.
Does this make sense?
Thank you again,
Yuriy

Hello Yuriy,

Thank you for your additional explanation. Although I disagree with the part of your answer about it not being a bug - there are default (Windows) UI standards related to keyboard usage which do not work correctly in FontBase at the moment - it is good to hear improvement will be considered.

Kind regards,
PB

Hello @PB-CCC, thank you for your reply :pray:
I think many, including myself, would agree that this behaviour would be considered a bug, if FontBase and Windows were made by the same developer and had to follow the same design guidelines. For better or worse, this is not the case.
But of course you have to right to see things as you see fit and no one can take that away from you.
Thank you again for the idea and the explanations,
Yuriy