"Go To File" Crashes Finder - still

Hey there,
there was another thread about this problem ("Go to file" crashes Finder), unfortunately it was closed without a solution.

I have the same problem using Mac OS Ventura 13.6.3, so it doesn’t seem to be an OS-specific issue. Whenever I select a font and click “go to file”, my Mac Finder crashes.
Thanks a lot for looking into it again!
Annie

• Mac OS Ventura 13.6.3
  • FontBase 2.20.7
  • FontBase is installed in Apps folder (as suggested), font folder is in the local root folder (automatically installed there), I didn’t move any install parts and folders around
  • OS was installed before installing FontBase, problem occurred right away
1 Like

Hello @annie548, thank you for your post and welcome to the forum :pray:
And a separate thank you for so much additional info.
Does this happen to both the pre-loaded Google fonts and the fonts you’ve added manually after installation?
Thank you again,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

Hello Yuriy,
I hadn’t tried it with the Google fonts, but I just did and yes, it crashes the Finder as well. The first time I experienced this bug when I had just installed the program and loaded one single font to test it. I then thought the font might be corrupt and loaded a whole bunch of other fonts, it happened with all of them.
I migrated from Font Explorer X to FontBase since it was recommended in another forum, and the fonts worked all fine with that program. I deleted and uninstalled Font Explorer X so FontBase doesn’t interfere with it (sometimes font apps don’t like each other and confuse the system), so that can’t be the issue either.
Other than this weird bug the program works fine and is very useful. Thanks for putting out a free version that is actually helpful!
Greetings from Germany,
Annie

1 Like

Hello Annie, thank you for the quick reply and the additional information :pray:
Working on figuring out what the reason is, sorry for the inconvenience :pensive:
Thank you very much for your support, it means a lot to us :heart:
Yuriy

Hey Yuriy,

I’m still experiencing this too. I have just installed my new Macbook today.
When clicking Go to file, the cursor turns to a stuttering beachball, finder freezes, and stays frozen until I quit FontBase, or reboot. What I find interesting is that Finder unfreezes when I quit FontBase. I hope it might help locate the problem. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Martijn

Hello Martijn, thank you for the additional information :pray:
So is it a completely different Macbook from the one you’ve mentioned in your original post?
Thank you again,
Yuriy

Correct. I was on a i9 model before, and now I’m on a M3 Max. So different architectures.

Thank you for the additional information Martjin :pray:
Will keep digging, for now there doesn’t seem to be any good reason for this to happen at all.
Thank you again,
Yuriy

Hello @fkom, sorry for the delay :pensive:
For now it still looks like the cause of this behaviour has something to do with MacOS itself, not FontBase per se. We’ll still keep digging for other possible reasons.
Sorry for the no-so-good news :pensive:
Thank you again,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

hi @yuriy and all,
the same bug bothers me too. it is occuring reproducably and always since “a while”. as you suggested in one of the threads, i de-installed and re-installed fontbase from scratch, but it didnt change the described behaviour. as i often have to find the file on the disk to determine the folder-path on my machine this is really a problem. is there any other way to see the path of a font from within fontbase?

thanks for any help,
best, etienne

MacOS Ventura 13.6.4 (22G513)
Fontbase Version 2.20.7 (2.20.7)

Hello Etienne, thank you for your post and welcome to the forum :pray:
Sorry to potential solution didn’t work :pensive:
At this moment FontBase only shows font file paths in the Family page if there is more than one copy of the same font present in the application, to discern duplicates, so probably not quite the solution you’re looking for, sorry :pensive:
Thank you again,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

hi @yuriy,

thanks for getting back quickly. please investigate further where the finder-crash problem might come from. it is not a sonoma problem, as ist happens on ventura also.

as for the folder-path: if you give this information when finding a duplicate font, wouldnt it be possible to also give it to every font-entry (maybe only as an optional pull-out menu or hidden as an option behind three little dots?).

technically you probably already have this information present and it is only a question of finding a good place for the output, right?

thanks, etienne

Thank you for the quick reply Enienne :pray:
Will do on the first one.
As for the second - yes, you are correct.

As for the Finder crash - does this happen on every single font file, including the pre-loaded Google fonts? Also - is FontBase installed on your local hard drive and does this also happen when using the Go To File function on the fonts that are on the same local hard drive?

Thank you again,
Yuriy

Hello all, sorry for such a delay with any major news on this topic until now :pray:
We’ve found a potential solution. Can’t say for certain if it will actually fix all the instances of this bug occurring yet, but we’re working on it.
No exact deadline on when the fix will be available, but still wanted to share some good news on the subject :pray:
Thank you for bearing with us,
Yuriy
FontBase Dev Team

for me its problem too. sometimes it is not crash finder but I really long time wait while my mouse corsor spinning - like 10-15 seconds and after that in finally open folder what i need.
Today I download actual version from website and it dont help everything still the same.

Fontbase version 2.20.7 (2.20.7)

Apple m1 mac pro laptop
macOS 14.5 (23F79)